A simple fall can create long-term damage and life-threatening risks for an older adult. Falls are hard to recover from, often leading to a risk for infection, mobility loss, and complex health problems. Fall prevention has to be one of the most critical investments in older adult care, whether at home or in an assisted living community. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we offer fall management strategies that may help improve your outcome. To learn about the senior living services we provide, please contact our team today at 405.451.5572.
Fall Management at Home
For those living at home, falls are likely to happen if you don’t take steps to minimize them. Fall management is the investment in simple changes that can reduce the risk of falling and focusing on these on an ongoing basis. Here are some tips to put into place right away to support your loved one:
- Remove carpets that have edges or tassels. These are one of the most common causes of falls.
- Clear all items from the stairs. Over time, it may help to minimize the use of stairs fully or to use stairlifts instead. Keep all belongings off the stairs, including any additional rugs or decorative pieces.
- Create pathways for walking through the home that is clear of any items on the floor. This includes keeping chair legs out of the way.
- Consider ramps for outdoor steps leading into the home. If not, add supportive bars to the home to enable a person to pull themselves up.
- Place rails throughout the bathroom, including near the toilet, to make getting up and down easier.
- Keep everything out of the bathtub or shower that could lead to tripping. Consider adding a chair to the bath to make washing easier.
- Use supportive tools like walkers and canes to the activities to minimize the risk of falling.
Be proactive about these and other changes made at home. Doing so could help minimize the risk of a fall. In addition to these steps, it is also important to consider strength training and rehabilitation to help you remain stronger longer. Having stronger muscles can help minimize the risk of a fall and enable your body to heal faster after it happens.
Fall Risk Management Is an Ongoing Battle
Within an assisted living community or other long-term community, it is critical to ensure the right type and level of support is available. That includes specific steps for fall risk management. This includes creating clear pathways and minimizing anything on the floor that could cause a person to trip. It also means having bright lights to ensure that vision is not a problem.
In addition to this, having a method of detecting a fall is also essential. Immediate medical attention may be critical to ensuring a person is able to get comprehensive care before complications occur.
How Do We Prevent and Manage Falls
At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, the goal is always to create a safe place where you do not have to worry about falling. However, we know that, even in the best situations, this can happen. That’s why we offer fall detection services to get help as soon as possible. Your long-term wellbeing may rely on our ability to support your health.
Let more about the work we do at Wickshire Senior Living Norman to minimize risks and improve quality of life. That includes assisted living services such as:
- Wise and Well program
- Full dining services
- Full transportation services
- Available housekeeping services
- Adult education programs
To learn more about our services, please contact Wickshire Senior Living Norman today at 405.451.5572.
Minimize Risk with Our Team at Wickshire Senior Living Norman
Fall management is one of the primary tools in our assisted living, respite, and hospice care centers. Recognizing just how worrisome falls are, we offer a range of senior living services to minimize this risk. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we work hard to give you the environment you need to thrive. Let us know how we can help you. Call 405.451.5572 or connect with us now online.