For those who worked hard for years and spent their time raising a family or providing services within a community, retirement should be an enjoyable time. Life slows down. There’s more time to do things, or you can choose to do nothing at all. However, research indicates that those who maintain an active lifestyle live longer, happier lives. That could be you. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we work closely with you to ensure you have access to all of the activities you want to enjoy. To learn more about how we encourage an active lifestyle, please reach out to our senior living team today at 405.360.4755.
Why Is an Active Lifestyle So Important During Retirement?
There are multiple reasons why an active lifestyle is so important. It has shown many benefits for older adults, such as:
- Minimize heart disease with routine cardio exercise, keeping your heart healthy longer
- Keep weight goals in place to reduce the risks of carrying excess weight, reducing pressure on joints
- Maintaining good muscle strength reduces fall risks
- Exercise and activity helps to improve anxiety and depression
- An active lifestyle may allow a person to maintain relationships more fully
- Lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels
Staying active helps many people feel good and helps them maintain their health long-term. That’s important for not only living longer but enjoying your life more fully.
How to Enjoy an Active Lifestyle
It’s easy to say that living an active lifestyle is good, but putting that into practice can seem much harder, especially when you haven’t done this before. Those in retirement can find simple ways to start and maintain activity. Of course, you should check with your doctor to know what to expect and what’s safe. Then, look for simple things to do that can help you, such as:
- Go for a walk outside. Even if you can’t go far, a short walk in the sun can help improve health and mental wellbeing.
- Look into a rec center nearby with programs for those who are older. Swimming is a good, low-impact option for staying fit and active without pain.
- Get out with friends and family a bit more. That may include a picnic at the park or going to their home.
- Embrace exercise and fitness programs designed for older adults
- Encourage yourself to engage in projects around the home that are safe to do.
Staying busy means you can count on seeing improvement in your overall health and wellbeing. It can also help to make your retirement more enjoyable. The key here is to ensure you are not doing things alone. If you live alone, consider inviting friends or family to do things with you. That makes the process even more enjoyable.
Call Wickshire Senior Living Norman
For some people, it may be too hard to live alone anymore. That doesn’t mean you can’t be active. At the assisted living community at Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we offer a wide array of ways for our residents to get active and involved in social activities. These activities can help to keep you busy and healthy, bringing meaning and value to your life as you go.
If you are considering a community for older adults, learn more about the services we offer. You may find that the activities and senior living programs here are just what you need. Some of them include:
- Recreational programs and activities
- Arts and crafts programs
- Educational programs and services
- Wise and Well program
- Assisted living services
- Home health care services
Having the right place to call home is a big part of an active lifestyle. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we work closely with you to ensure you have everything you need to thrive. We encourage you to take the first step. Call us to learn more about our assisted living programs and offerings. Reach out to our trusted team at 405.360.4755 or connect with us today online.