As people get older, life tends to slow down. There are not as many dinner parties or work conferences to attend. People tend to withdraw into themselves. Social socialization is critical to understand, especially as a person gets older and isn’t as active as they used to be. In an assisted living community, there’s more opportunity for overcoming these challenges through ongoing engagement opportunities. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we offer the tools you need to remain social as much as you would like to be. For more information on how we assist in this aspect of wellness, please contact our treatment team today at 405.360.4755.
What Is the Importance of Socialization?
Socialization is a big part of life for many people. It is an opportunity to help people interact with others in meaningful ways, express thoughts and feelings, and get the care they need. It feels good to be involved. There are other benefits to socialization, too, including:
- Improving mental health: The more active a person is in their life, the more opportunities they have for keeping their mental health and cognitive function sound. Socialization stimulates fundamental interactions in the brain, supporting proper health.
- Reducing depression risks: A person that’s not socializing often is at a higher risk of developing depression. This risk may lead to them not engaging in activities as often and may even lead to thoughts of helplessness.
- Reducing anxiety: Many older adults struggle with anxiety because they worry about others, their health, their future, and taking care of their home. Their support isn’t always there to help minimize anxiety. Socialization creates opportunities to talk through it.
- Boosting overall health: Socialization is not just talking. It can mean going for a walk or engaging in other activities. As a result, it can help to keep a person healthy and more engaged physically in the world around them.
- It aids in meeting emotional needs: Seniors face new emotions as they get older, but without anyone to talk to or with, those emotions can bottle up and become hateful or harmful. Socializing helps to open that communication up.
Many people who lack socialization as they get older become isolated and lonely. They don’t do this on purpose, but because they do not know how to interact with others any longer. Their world is different.
Creating New Friendships Is Valuable
A simple friendship can make a big difference for anyone that is getting older. It means having someone to talk to about politics, religion, health, and the weather. It may mean having someone to discuss what’s on their mind or worrying them. Friendships also provide solutions and problem-solving because when people work together, there are more opportunities for getting the support they need. Fostering senior friendships is always a good thing.
Increase Your Quality of Life at Wickshire Senior Living Norman
A person can develop better relationships and engage in socialization more readily when other people surround them. That may include family and friends, but it also includes peers facing the same challenges. In an assisted living community, there are many more activities and opportunities to interact and build up those relationships. However, this treatment also ensures a person always gets the type and level of care they need. We offer a wide array of senior living services, including:
Recognizing the importance of socialization is the first step in realizing it’s time to make some changes. Having access to outstanding care, numerous interaction opportunities, and resources for activities can give a person a better quality of life. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we offer a range of assisted living services to support these needs. Learn more about our services when you call 405.360.4755 or connect with us online.