Getting older sometimes means life slows down. You may not be going to work every day or heading out to spend time with friends. With fewer people living in your home, you may not have as many things to do. That can put you in a position to live a sedentary lifestyle, which can be problematic for your health. The better option is to find a way to engage and live an active lifestyle. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we work to support this, including using recreational programs. To learn about our services, please get in touch with our community today at 405.451.5572.
What Does an Active Lifestyle Mean to You?
The more active you are, the more likely you are to push off the onset of disease or accidents. However, being active doesn’t mean you have to spend each day running a marathon. If you haven’t been active for a while, start slow and work towards achieving more of your goals over some time. That may mean engaging in activities such as the following based on your abilities:
- Go for a 20-minute walk each day. Even if it is just around the house or down the street, this can help you to feel good. It also helps to increase your heart rate and aids with physical fitness.
- If you have joint pain, consider swimming. It can help with the rehabilitation of those joints. It’s also healthy cardio for many people.
- Do some gardening. If you don’t want to bend down, purchase a raised garden bed to make the process a bit easier to manage.
- Go out for dinner with friends. Or, invite family to your home. Social engagement is another part of a healthy, active lifestyle and is just as important as physical activity.
- Try new things. Engage in new programs, activities, and relationships. The more ways you participate in the world around you, the more enjoyable life can be for you.
We offer a range of ways for our senior residents to stay active, ensuring that they remain in the best shape possible.
What About Being Active in Retirement in an Assisted Living Community?
Living in an assisted living community may open the door for things for you to do and people to engage with actively. Many people find living in this type of environment actually encourages them to be more active.
Most often, you’ll have access to activities and planned experiences, including outings to various local events or locations. Take advantage of these programs to ensure you can consistently enjoy a higher quality of life. You may also want to be a part of book clubs, social gatherings, and planned events at the location. The more ways you can participate, the better for physical and emotional wellbeing.
Get the Support You Need at Wickshire Senior Living Norman
At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we consistently provide new activities and recreational programs to assist older adults in engaging more fully in life. There are many ways to remain active here, such as participating in various groups, physical therapy programs, and supportive therapy groups. Our team is always willing to listen to you about your ideas for new activities and experiences.
When you live at home alone, it is hard to get in enough exercise and overall activity, which is why moving to our community can be so valuable. There are many ways we can work to support you in this process, including services such as:
- Wise and Well program
- Housekeeping services
- Medication management program
- Transportation services
- Dining services
- Recreational programs and services
Living an active lifestyle is a priority for your health. Having ample support to make that possible is even more important. At Wickshire Senior Living Norman, we offer a wide range of programs and services to support your best needs. Call us at 405.451.5572 or connect with us now online.